Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fun with my sons

The other day I found a nightcrawler slinking around in the grass. As I summoned up my courage and picked it up to show my son I wondered where my childhood fearlessness had gone. I used to chase and capture craneflies. I would catch little hopping frogs without a second thought. Why is it now, after all these years, that these harmless little creatures make me cringe? Why does my face wrinkle with apprehension at the sight of a cricket or a tiny lizard?

I am challenging myself to find the wonder and adventure I once had when I was younger. I want to experience fun and excitement with my sons as they delight in exploring the little pleasures that life has to offer. So I say to you, Mother Earth, bring forth your salamanders and beetles and butterflies; send them to me so that I may enjoy their creepy awesomeness with my children.

But no spiders. I draw the line at spiders.

1 comment: